A few weeks back I, @karlacamador posted how I discovered mold in my water bottle. I asked our amazing community for tips on keeping water bottles clean. Here is what we all came up with:
- Wash with soap, brush and hot water. Leave top open to fully dry out
- Keep in freezer (make sure not to let it sit in a moist environment!)
- Bleach! @Sawyer recommended one capful of bleach, per liter of water. Let the mixture sit for a few hours. Rinse out, then wash with soap (see tip #1) and dry.
- Tools: You can use a baby bottle brush with extendable handle. Some people use a regular sponge and with a utensil scrub around the bottom to remove any scum. I recently found a brush that fit a narrow bottle opening an is long enough. Check it out on Amazon - OXO Good Grips Water Bottle Cleaning Set.
- Hydrapack bottle bright: Bottle Bright tablets are readily biodegradable and all natural, made to keep all your containers clean and operating at optimum performance.
- Diluted hydrogen peroxide, can kill microscopic remnants. Use a cap full or three with bottle filled hallway with water. Let sit for a few hours, then wash like normal (see tip #1) and dry. -Thanks @Lysandrabaker for the tip.
- Sprinkle baking soda and lemon inside bottle, with a tool of your choice scrub the inside of the bottle and dry.
- Vinegar or apple cider vinegar, fill one fifth bottle with vinegar and the remaining with water. Let sit for a couple of hours, then wash like normal (see tip #1) and dry.
Hope these tips were helpful to you, now we can keep our water bottles spotless and minimize our carbon footprint!